Free Oral Cancer Screening in Surrey
Head and neck cancer kills about 2100 Canadians each year. Over 7000 Canadians are diagnosed with head and neck cancer each year. It is expected that this cancer will increase by 40% from 2015 to 2030. These statistics are from Canadian Cancer Society.
We do an oral cancer screening at each complete oral examinations and subsequent hygiene appointments. It takes just few minutes for dentists to do this exam.
More lives can be saved if it is detected early.
It is important to know the anatomy of ones oral cavity. It includes lips, tongue ( top, under and sides), cheeks, floor of mouth, roof of mouth, gums, bone, back of throat.
- Any oral cavity ulcer must heal within 2 weeks. If not, see your dentist.
- If you feel any lumps or bumps, see your dentist.
- In case you notice any red, white lesion on tongue, cheeks, gums, lips follow up with your dentist.
- There can be 3 different kind of growth or lesions. Cancerous, Pre-cancerous and Non-cancerous. As the name explain non-cancerous have no risk of cancer development; pre-cancerous needs to be monitored and can develop into cancer and cancerous is a cancer.
- There are many type of diseases that may show some signs inside oral cavity. For example, canker ulcers.
- Not all ulcers, lumps and bumps are cancer. But one needs to be vigilant about any changes in their oral cavity.