How Can I Keep My Teeth White?
We all want to have a clean, beautiful smile. Having white teeth is a sign of good health and hygiene, so it’s no wonder that we find it such an attractive attribute.
How Can I Keep My Teeth White Naturally at Home?
- If you want to find natural and cheap ways to whiten your teeth, here are some of our tips:
- Avoid the consumption and use of products that stain your teeth. This includes tea, coffee, red wine, highly acidic foods, and tobacco.
- If you do decide to consume foods and liquids that stain, consider rinsing your mouth thoroughly right afterwards, or using a straw when consuming liquids that stain.
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth for two minutes, twice a day and flossing your teeth once a day. It also helps to rinse with mouthwash at least once a day to help kill bacteria that causes plaque.
- Consume more crunchy fruits and vegetables. These types of foods have an abrasiveness that works like a natural toothbrush, helping to lift stains off your teeth, giving your teeth a whiter appearance.
What are Some Products I Could Use to Help Whiten My Teeth?
Whitening Toothpastes and Mouthwash
Consider replacing your regular toothpaste and mouthwash with the whitening type. These product are a good choice because they can be bought at a decent, low price of less than $10, and you don’t have to do any additional work above your regular hygiene routine.
Whitening trays are trays which you fill with peroxide-based whitening gel. You can buy one from the drugstore or supermarket for about $20-$50, and they are usually one-size-fits-all and adjusts to the mold of your teeth. These trays are typically used up to once a day, for about 1 to 2 weeks, after which you will see whitening results.
Chewing Gum and Whitening Strips
You can find whitening sugarless chewing gums on the market that can be used daily, and are most effective when used after meals. They help to remove food residue from your teeth after eating. Whitening strips are plastic strips with a peroxide-gel side which you apply to the outside surface of your teeth. These can be used up to 30 minutes a day for optimal results, and repeated daily for as long as recommended by the manufacturer.
*Tip: When buying whitening products, check to see if the product is ADA (American Dental Association) approved. These products are proven safe and effective, and won’t be any harder or your enamel than regular dental hygiene products.
What is Zoom In-office Teeth Whitening?
Zoom is a popular dental procedure used around the world to lighten any discoloration of the tooth enamel and dentin.
During your treatment, your dentist will start by covering up your mouth and gums to leave only your teeth exposed. The Zoom hydrogen-peroxide whitening gel is then applied onto your teeth and used alongside the Zoom light to penetrate your teeth and break down any stains and discoloration. The procedure is typically done in three 15 minute sessions, for a total of 45 minutes, and the average cost of the procedure is around $500.
Zoom whitening is not recommended for children under 13, or for pregnant and lactating women. Your dentist can help to determine if this procedure is right for you after conducting a thorough oral examination prior to treatment.